Table of Contents
- 1 What is a fancy word for stop?
- 2 What is the word for stopping something?
- 3 What’s a word for sudden stop?
- 4 What is the meaning discontinue?
- 5 What does this word mean abruptly?
- 6 What is the best synonym for abruptly?
- 7 What can I say instead of shut up?
- 8 What can you do with words that start with P?
- 9 Which is the best synonym for the word stop?
What is a fancy word for stop?
verb. halt, cease, conclude, cut short, desist, discontinue, end, finish, pause, put an end to, quit, refrain, shut down, terminate. prevent, arrest, forestall, hinder, hold back, impede, repress, restrain. plug, block, obstruct, seal, staunch, stem. stay, lodge, rest.
What is the word for stopping something?
lay off, leave off, pack (up or in), quit, shut off.
What’s a word for sudden stop?
What is another word for stopped suddenly?
|rendered motionless||stopped dead|
|stopped in your tracks||became motionless|
|become motionless||became paralysed|
|become paralysed||stood stock still|
Which word that means to stop or not continue?
What is another word for not continue?
|call it a day||leave off|
How do you say stop in a polite way?
- stop it/that. phrase. used for telling someone not to do something that they are doing.
- hands off. phrase.
- give something a rest. phrase.
- pack it in. phrasal verb.
- cut it/that out. phrasal verb.
- must you? phrase.
- hold it. phrase.
- can ill afford (to do) something. phrase.
What is the meaning discontinue?
1 : to break the continuity of : cease to operate, administer, use, produce, or take. 2 : to abandon or terminate by a legal discontinuance.
What does this word mean abruptly?
: in an abrupt manner : in a sudden and unexpected way He left abruptly.
What is the best synonym for abruptly?
synonyms for abruptly
- all of a sudden.
Is there a word discontinue?
How is the word discontinue distinct from other similar verbs? Some common synonyms of discontinue are cease, desist, quit, and stop. While all these words mean “to suspend or cause to suspend activity,” discontinue applies to the stopping of an accustomed activity or practice.
What is the meaning of discontinuation?
transitive verb. 1 : to break the continuity of : cease to operate, administer, use, produce, or take. 2 : to abandon or terminate by a legal discontinuance. intransitive verb. : to come to an end.
What can I say instead of shut up?
Synonyms of ‘shut up’
- button it (slang)
- pipe down (slang) Just pipe down and I’ll tell you what I want.
- put a sock in it (British, slang)
- keep your trap shut (slang)
- cut the cackle (informal)
- button your lip (slang)
What can you do with words that start with P?
These kinds of P words can be super PROMISING, whether you’re solving a word PUZZLE or exercising your POETIC muscles in verse. Satiate your hunger with foods that start with P too.
Which is the best synonym for the word stop?
1 to bring (as an action or operation) to an immediate end. the manufacturer will stop selling the toy and will immediately recall all the units that have already been sold. Synonyms for stop. break, break off, break up, can. [ slang ], cease,
What foods have the letters P in them?
Satiate your hunger with foods that start with P too. Enjoy PANCAKES for breakfast, PIZZA for lunch, PASTA for dinner, and a slice of PUMPKIN PIE for dessert.
How is the word stop distinct from other similar verbs?
How is the word stop distinct from other similar verbs? Some common synonyms of stop are cease, desist, discontinue, and quit. While all these words mean “to suspend or cause to suspend activity,” stop applies to action or progress or to what is operating or progressing and may imply suddenness or definiteness.