Table of Contents
What does atrocity mean example?
The definition of an atrocity is something that is very cruel or brutal. The Holocaust is an example of an atrocity.
What type of word is Atrocities?
noun, plural a·troc·i·ties. the quality or state of being atrocious. an atrocious act, thing, or circumstance.
How do you use the word atrocities?
(1) I am shocked by the atrocity of this man’s crimes. (2) These people are guilty of acts of great atrocity. (3) Reasonable people everywhere will be outraged by this atrocity. (4) This atrocity has created a huge gulf between the two groups.
What is atrocious act?
An act that is outrageously cruel, vile, and wicked and that demonstrates a depravity and insensitive brutality, especially when using senseless, excessive, or extreme violence during the commission of a crime. noun. 3. 2.
What atrocities spell?
What is the meaning of atrocity case?
Atrocity is “an expression commonly used to refer to crimes against Scheduled Castes (SCs) and Scheduled Tribes (STs) in India”. It “denotes the quality of being shockingly cruel and inhumane, whereas the term ‘crime’ relates to an act punishable by law”.
What are antonyms for atrocity?
antonyms for atrocity
- good behavior.
How do you use discern?
Discern sentence example
- We must discern between the truth and lies.
- The man stopped, thinking he’d heard some movement behind him, but after listening a few minutes could discern no human sound and was satisfied he was alone.
- We must discern the truth.
- Few can discern the meanings inherent within a dream world.
How do you use attribute in a sentence?
decide as to where something belongs in a scheme.
- Archaeologists attribute the ruin to a flourishing prehistoric kingdom.
- Patience is an essential attribute for a teacher.
- Politeness is an attribute of a gentleman.
- I attribute our success to him.
- The committee refused to attribute blame without further information.
Is atrocious good or bad?
Atrocious is a great word, but there’s nothing good about its meaning or its synonyms: horrible, ugly, abominable, dreadful, unspeakable, and monstrous, to name just a few.
Can people be atrocious?
If you describe someone’s behavior or their actions as atrocious, you mean that it is unacceptable because it is extremely violent or cruel. The judge said he had committed atrocious crimes against women.
What does atrocity mean in social studies?
atrocity Add to list Share. Atrocities, acts of outrageous cruelty, are often committed during wars and armed conflicts. The word atrocity describes both the act of cruelty as well as the sense of cruelty. The word atrocity is also often used in the context of warfare and frequently as a plural.
Which is the best definition of the word atrocities?
Appalling or atrocious condition, quality, or behavior; monstrousness. An appalling or atrocious act, situation, or object, especially an act of unusual or illegal cruelty inflicted by an armed force on civilians or prisoners. American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition.
What is the meaning of the word atroc?
atroc·i·ty | \\ə-ˈträ-sə-tē \\. plural atrocities. 1 : a shockingly bad or atrocious act, object, or situation the atrocities of war. 2 : the quality or state of being atrocious … the paralysing atrocity of the thought which occupied her.— Joseph Conrad.
Which is an early warning sign of an atrocity?
— New York Times, 30 July 2021 Furthermore, the destruction of cultural heritage is an important early warning sign of an atrocity to come. — Dr. Ewelina U. Ochab, Forbes, 3 July 2021 When the ideology of atrocity enters the bloodstream of a society at war, the only way to justify staying on is to ignore it or adopt it.