Table of Contents
How do you use sombre in a sentence?
1 They sat in sombre silence. 2 The funeral was a sombre occasion. 3 A funeral is a sombre occasion. 4 The pair were in sombre mood.
How do you use somber?
Somber in a Sentence 🔉
- When I saw the doctor’s somber expression, I knew my diagnosis was not a good one.
- Sometimes the news is so somber I turn off the television.
- After Bill was unexpectedly fired, he was in a somber mood for weeks.
- The funeral hall was filled with somber faces.
What does somber mean in a sentence?
1 : very sad and serious Her death put us in a somber mood. The movie is a somber portrait of life on the streets. 2 : having a dull or dark color He wore a somber suit.
Is somber a feeling?
Somber is used to describe situations, facial expressions, or moods that are dark, gloomy, or depressing. Funerals are usually somber affairs. Somber is a slightly formal word. The word somber is derived from the Latin sub umbrā, “under a shadow,” and it can also describe dull colors, like brown, grey, or black.
How do you use somber in a simple sentence?
Somber sentence example
- Fred’s mood remained somber throughout the meal.
- His somber gaze met hers and then drifted to her lips.
- She leaned back and met his somber gaze.
- Hypnotized by his somber gaze, she lifted her face to accept his affection.
What is feeling sombre?
When you’re sombre — or somber — you’re acting glum, depressed, or sad. Being sombre is the opposite of being perky or happy. This is a word that has to do with the mood of a person or event.
How do you use solemn in a sentence?
He wore a very solemn expression on his face. He recited the poem in a solemn voice. A solemn crowd gathered around the grave. We made a solemn promise to love each other forever.
Where is somber?
Somber Dawn can be found running in a circle around the center of Deadwood Landing. Deadwood landing is the large island off the west coast of the Broken Shore.
How do you use taciturn in a sentence?
Taciturn Sentence Examples
- At dinner the prince usually spoke to the taciturn Michael Ivanovich more often than to anyone else.
- He was without question a reactionary, morose and taciturn, and spent nearly all his time shut up in his palace.
- In society Anson seems to have been cold and taciturn.
What mood is somber?
gloomy, depressing, or dismal: a somber mood. extremely serious; grave: a somber expression on his face.
Can people be somber?
When you’re sombre — or somber — you’re acting glum, depressed, or sad. Being sombre is the opposite of being perky or happy. This is a word that has to do with the mood of a person or event. A funeral is going to be sombre, and the people at the funeral are usually pretty sombre, too.
Is it somber or sombre?
It can describe someone’s mood, a color, the weather, or the general atmosphere. You might also see it spelled sombre—it’s not an incorrect spelling, it’s just the spelling more commonly used outside of the United States. In the US, somber is the preferred spelling.